I’m thinking about doing a series of stupid Obama quotes, and March gave me a choice quotation.
Here’s the quote:
For decades we’ve avoided doing what we must do as a nation to turn — turn challenge into opportunity. As a consequence we import more oil than we did on 9/11. The… The 1908 Model T — think about this! The 1908 Model T earned better gas mileage than the typical SUV in 2008. Think about that, a hundred years later and we’re getting worse gas mileage, not better.
Ok, here’s a few facts about the Model T:
- uses leaded gasoline (and ethanol),
- has no catalytic converter,
- has a 20 HP engine,
- gets 21 MPG,
- rear-wheel drive only,
- has a TERRIBLE suspension,
- no power steering,
- no power brakes,
- no radio,
- no heater,
- no air conditioning,
- top speed of about 45 MPH,
- no safety features like airbags,
- no electronic ignition,
- no windows (with the exception of a windshield).
Now, for a Ford Explorer:
- Uses unleaded gasoline (while the Explorer does not use ethanol, many Ford vehicles do),
- has a catalytic converter,
- has a 210 HP engine,
- gets 20 MPG,
- is available in rear-wheel and four-wheel / all-wheel drive,
- has a superior suspension compared to a Model T,
- has power steering,
- has power brakes,
- comes with an AM/FM/CD stereo,
- comes with a heater,
- comes with air conditioning,
- top speed of over 100 MPH,
- comes with safety features like airbags,
- has an electronic ignition (meaning you don’t have to hand-crank your car to get it to start),
- comes with windows,
- POLLUTES LESS.
But the Model T gets better gas mileage (by about 1 MPG). So does my push lawnmower. Funny thing is that if you get the 2009 Ford Explorer with a V8 engine, you get as good, if not better, gas mileage as the Model T.
Mind you, this guy has an Ivy League degree.